Water 101

Click on a subject heading below to view questions and answers relating to your selection.
EmergenciesNew Residents
LeaksOur Water
MovingWater Pressure


Emergencies   (Back to top)

Q. How will I be contacted in the event of a water emergency?
A. In the event of a water emergency in which we need to contact our customers, you will be notified immediately by our automated emergency phone call system. It is important that we have up-to-date contact phone numbers on record for all of our customers who want to take advantage of this notification system.

Q. What if I do not know if my phone number is listed in your system or if it is correct?
A. If you are not sure that we have the correct contact information for you, please call our office during normal business hours. You can also email us the correct information. We will be happy to check our records and make sure they are up to date.

Q. What if I am not home to get the automated phone call?
A. If you are not home to get the automated phone call and you have an answering system or machine, our system will leave you a message. If you do not have an answering system or machine, our system will automatically call you again.

Q. Will the emergency system work with a cell phone?
A. Yes, the emergency system will work with a cell phone number.

Q. What if I don’t have a phone number on record with Roxbury Water Company? How will I be notified in the event of an emergency?
A. We encourage all of our customers to provide us with an emergency phone number in order for us to contact them in the event of an emergency. If you don’t have a phone number on record with us you can call our office. If there is an emergency, we will leave a message on your answering system with information pertaining to the emergency. We will have up-to-date information on the site regarding any emergencies.

Q. What situations should be considered a “water emergency”?
A. Any of the following constitutes a possibly emergency:

  • No water at all
  • Very little water pressure
  • Flooding
  • Odor and/or taste
  • Burst pipes
  • Leaking meter

Q. What should I do in the event of an emergency?
A. If you have an emergency, please call our office immediately during normal business hours. At all other times, please call our emergency pager number (973-229-6764). Someone will promptly return your call.

Q. If I have an emergency during the night, will I be charged for a service call?
A. You will only be charged for a service if the emergency is the customer’s responsibility.

Q. When it comes to my water supply, what am I responsible for and what is Roxbury Water Company responsible for?
A. Roxbury Water Company is responsible for supplying water from the main to the curb box. From the curb box to the house and anything inside the house is the responsibility of the homeowner, with the exception of the meter only.


Leaks   (Back to top)

Q. I think I have a leak somewhere in my house. How can I be sure?
A. With no water being used in the house, check the dial on your water meter. If the dial is moving, water is going through the meter, which indicates a possible leak.

Q. If I have a leak inside my home, do I need to call Roxbury Water Company?
A. If the water meter itself is the source of the leak, then you will need to call us to come out and fix it. All other plumbing problems are the customer’s responsibility.


Moving   (Back to top)

Q. What steps need to be taken to close my account and be ready for my closing date?
A. If you are moving, please contact our offices as soon as you know your moving/closing date. We will come out and take a final reading and collect payment at that time. Or we can fax the bill to your attorney and it can be paid at closing. Water service will remain on for the new owners.

Q. I am a tenant and I am moving. How do I close my account?
A. Tenants who are moving out need to contact our office to schedule a final reading. This reading will be done on the last day that you are responsible for payment, usually the last day of your lease. We will come out and take a final reading on the scheduled date and collect any payment due at that time.


New Residents   (Back to top)

Q. I am moving into the area. How do I set up an account to obtain water service?
A. If you are moving into the area, you will need to fill out a service application. You can either stop by our office to fill one out or you can print one and drop it off, fax, email, or mail it to us.

Q. I will be renting a house or apartment in the area. Do I need to set up an account for water service?
A. If you are renting in the area and you are responsible for the water bill, you will need to fill out an application. You will also need the landlord to sign the application.


Our Water   (Back to top)

Q. Where does Roxbury Water Company get their water from?
A. Roxbury Water Company has five wells which supply water to all of our customers in our service area.

Q. How is the water treated?
A. Our water is treated with chlorine only, in compliance with DEP regulations.

Q. Is fluoride added to the water?
A. No, we do not add fluoride to the water.

Q. Is the water tested on a regular basis?
A. Yes, we test our water on a regular basis.

Q. What do you test the water for?
A. Roxbury Water Company takes ten bacteria samples monthly at ten different residential and commercial sites throughout our system. We also take a bacteria sample at each of our wells monthly.

Q. Are the test results available to the public?
A. Yes. Our consumer confidence reports are mailed to each of our customers once a year. They are also posted on our website.

Water Pressure   (Back to top)

Q. My water pressure seems low. What should it be?
A. Your water pressure should be 50 psi (pounds per square inch.)

Q. What can happen if I have very high water pressure in my home?
A. Very high water pressure in the home can be damaging. It can lead to leaking pipes, toilets, and faucets. Any household appliances that use water can also be damaged. These include hot water heaters, dishwashers, and washing machines.

Q. How do you correct a problem of high water pressure?
A. If you have high water pressure in your home and do not have a pressure reducer, you will need to have one installed. If there is an existing pressure reducer, you will need to have it checked and either adjusted or replaced.

Q. I don’t know if I have a pressure reducer. Where would it be located?
A. If you have a pressure reducer, it would be installed either above or below your water meter.

fatrabbit CREATIVE